Wednesday, April 20, 2005

How do you meet people in the real world? So I'm in my year off between college and grad school, living a few minutes walk away from the University of Maryland campus con mi madre. I'm not affiliated with the school at all though, and I don't know any of the students or hang out on campus. It's a pretty big school, so there must be stuff going on around, but I can't really figure out how to a) figure out when/where stuff is going on or b)get into that scene even if i knew. There's a couple bars near where I live where students seem to hang out, but I'm not the type of person who just goes to a bar and meets people.

I guess I'm not really the type who goes anywhere solo and meets people or anything like that. In college or when I've been in the DC area previously for summer jobs, I'd go out with friends from school or people I knew from work, and therefore have people to hang out with at the bar or folks to watch a movie with or whatever. But I don't really know anyone here to do that type of thing with, and therefore I don't really go out, which means I don't meet anyone new (is this a Catch 22 or not)? Fortunately, I'm still in touch with a lot of my friends I've met from college and have met some people visiting grad schools and whatnot, but those people aren't around to hang out with, so it's not the same. I'm going back to the place I worked last summer (a summer camp) in June and then to grad school in september (where I still have a lot of friends in the area, so that will be cool), so this will all be a moot point shortly. Still, it might be useful for the future to figure out how people do manage to go out and meet people and all that stuff outside of school or work (assuming they do-they must, right?)

1 comment:

MexicanMuse said...

Meeting ppl is important, wherever you go, especially if you are new to an area. You never know what may come about from those encounters. It's hard to make a decision though of where to go out to meet people if you don't know the area too well. What I usually try to do is find one person, then that person can introduce me to someone else, and then to someone else, etc. The most important part is finding that one person. Where will you find that one person???? At a bar? Church? A community event? A sports event? A campus event? At a grocery store? haha.. virtually, anywhere, but it's up to you to start a conversation... but I warn you... it can be sketchy at times. haha, but i'm weird... like if i hear somebody speaking spanish I'll go up to them & say "Hola!Como esta?" Then I'll think of something to start talking about...The point is meeting someone, right??? Good luck w/ it, my friend!