Sunday, May 01, 2005

Not that I want to go out and get wasted (do kids say "wasted" nowadays?), but I am a little curious about the whole alcohol thing. What does it feel like? So apparently being drunk is actually just your body being poisoned by excessive alcohol (thank you B.Dub, who I'm pretty sure will not read my blog), but it must be a decently pleasant poisoning bc it seems to be popular. Is it like the feeling you get when you get a new puppy for your birthday (not that I know what that is like either).

So anyway, in case you're curious, I'll try to explain why I don't drink. Part of it is religious, though not exactly how you might expect. I don't think drinking is wrong in and of itself (though I do think doing so excessively is). However, part of the church covenant at my home church in SC is that we will abstain from alcoholic drinks as a beverage (I have had communion wine-elsewhere, as they don't use real wine at my church-which is not for beverage purposes and therefore doesn't count), and I figured that since I agreed to it when I joined the church, I'll abide by it. Although I was only like 12 when I did so, and I'm not entirely sure I actually agreed to it (I think I might have skipped saying that part when we had to recite it, but I don't remember-it was a while ago), so I may re-explore the issue at some point.

My non-religious reason is that I feel like I might be one of those persons who doesn't hold his alcohol well and/or may not be good at drinking in moderation. Of course I don't really have a way of judging either of those things, but it's just kind of a hunch I have. And I like having control of myself; thus being under the influence is less appealing. Not that drinking necessarily means getting drunk, but it helps right? And since I have enough of a challenge not being an idiot sober, I'm wary of throwing alcohol in the mix. :)

Also, I hear alcohol actually doesn't taste that good, and I like things that taste good. Maybe (if I drank) I could drink one of those fruit flavored drinks with the umbrellas and the pretty colors-those look good.

No comments: