Thursday, June 15, 2006

So I've been trying to get into the World Cup, watching it on the local spanish language channel (the various ways of yelling "Gol!" after a point is scored is indeed entertaining). I can't say that I've been converted to a soccer fan, though it can be enjoyable if one of the teams interests me (the US for obvious reasons, Brazil because they have so much expectation behind them, various former colonies and small countries because of the underdog factor, etc). Off of that last point, its kind of cool to think of the larger geopolitical implications (yeah, I'm a bit of a political science nerd aren't I) of the matches. Iran playing a game in Nuremburg seemed a bit ironic given all of the stuff with Israel lately. Angola playing its former colonizer Portugal, etc. I also enjoy trying to figure out which team is which when i miss the beginning of games (looking at names if i catch a close-up, trying to guess from the composition of the team, etc. And the Spanish advertisements that unexpectedly include American names (*talking in Spanish* "McDonald's! *more Spanish*); that's fun.

No comments: